2.21.2011

Pancake are a lovely weekend treat and I may have found one of the best recipes around. These pancakes are a tiny bit sweet, a little vanillaie,  fluffy, and always turnout perfectly! Even when I make adjustments to the recipe. I found the original recipe in Bon Appétit one Sunday morning when I had a serious hankering for pancakes and a little extra whole wheat flour that I wanted to use up. I have since adjust my version of the recipe to not include whole wheat flour because when I make pancakes I want them to be a treat not a reminder that I should be eating something more nutritious. (recipe after the jump)

Sunday Morning Pancakes
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1.5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt (I usually use a 1/4 of a teaspoon + a little extra)
1 cups whole milk
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Heat a nonstick over medium heat.

Then, in a bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a large measuring cup whisk milk, egg, and vanilla, then whisk in the melted butter. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. The trick to pancakes, which I learned from my dad and he apparently learned it from his mother is that you should NEVER over mix pancakes. Slightly lumpy batter it what you are going for.

Once the pan is heated I use a ladle and ladle a "nice" amount of batter onto the pan. As the pancake cooks you will see little bubble begin to form around the edges of the pancake. When the bubbles pop and do not filled in with batter flip that pancake! Do this and you will never again have raw centered pancakes!

* Beware, if your pan is too hot the first side of the pancake can burn before the bubble thing begins to happen. So watch your pans heat and turn it down if you need to.

No comments: